Monday, October 17, 2011

Glitterball 2011!!

Glitterball is a huge party that happens every fall in Dhaka.  You attend with a table of 10 people, design themes and costumes for the people at your table, and some tables design skits to perform in front of everyone!  People wait overnight in line to get tickets months before the event.  I was lucky enough to have someone think of me before I got here, and reserve a ticket for my roommates and I!

There were actually 3 tables of 10 in our group, so 30 people, mostly teachers from the school (and Father Tom, the local Catholic priest).  There were at least 4 other tables of AISD teachers, but each planned and dressed seperate of one another.  Our group decided to perform a Bollywood flash mob dance as our skit!  My roommate and I, along with two other ladies, did the choreography and taught everyone the dance!  We decided to all wear black and silver, but with a Bengali or Indian flare, so everyone designed their own outfits!  We looked so good when we were all together!!  Other tables' costumes included:  Alice and Wonderland, Dogs, Biker gangs, 20s people, Ballerinas, Amy Winehouse, Jailbirds, Desperate Housewives/Gardeners, Electrical sockets, etc etc etc.... There were 500 people there!  We had such a good night!  Our dance didn't win, or make the top 3 (We were robbed! Haha!), but none of us cared about winning and just enjoyed ourselves!  Check out pictures of our group and even a video below!! See if you can find me!  I'm all the way on the right side of the screen near the front.  I'm the first one to dance even though someone is standing right in front of me.  (Sorry about Rich's butt in front of the camera for a while!  He moves after a bit.)

The whole group!  Don't we look great!?

Obligatory elevator shot with the gang!
Housemate picture!  Konrad, Kajori and I!


1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I did this in 1994 and 1995 - Great to see the Glitter Ball lives on.
    Sue Hyde (now London formerly Gulshan & Banani)

    ReplyDelete